Margaret Jenkins Dance Company Hiring Company Manager/Event Coordinator
Title: Company Manager/Event Coordinator
Reports To: Artistic Director
Part-time: 20-25 hours per week.
Salary: Commensurate with experience: $20-25 an hour.
Start date: June 22, 2015
Potential end date: November 15, 2015, with employment for 2016 negotiable.
Founded in 1973 to support the artistic vision of founder and artistic director Margaret Jenkins, the Margaret Jenkins Dance Company (MJDC) has been a part of the cultural fabric of San Francisco for the last four decades. Ms. Jenkins has been a leader in both the local and national arts communities. The Company is known for the innovative collaborative process by which the work is made and is dedicated to performing on a regular basis in San Francisco and around the world.
MJDC operates a 3,800 square-foot studio in San Francisco, called the Margaret Jenkins Dance Lab (MJDL). The studio houses the MJDC rehearsals, the activities of Robert Moses Kin, Mary Carbonara, City Dance and sundry residencies and other activities. More information about the history of the Company can be found at our website: www.mjdc.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work with Artistic Director and Executive Assistant to:
● Help generate, oversee and implement PR/Marketing strategies, ticketing, invites, eBlasts, for a series of fall events/performances around the Bay Area (rehearsals begin August 17th; performance series begins September 24th).
● Open the MJDL at 11:30 am on rehearsal days and setup all digital media and recording equipment needed for rehearsal purposes. Breaking down and putting away all said equipment, and locking up after rehearsal ends. Operating said equipment during rehearsals, including the video recording of rehearsals, running video files on multiple laptop computers, and uploading and sending rehearsal footage as needed. As needed, video and organize materials: set pieces, costumes, etc. (Rehearsals are Monday-Thursday 11:30-3:30 pm).
● Work directly with “hosts”/ venues of Bay Area performances on all logistics to realize the events such as production itinerary, transportation, catering, volunteer management, and more.
● Work within predetermined budget as determined by the Board, Artistic Director and Executive Assistant.
● Work directly with production team to insure the installation of lights, sound and set pieces as necessary.
● Preparation, maintenance and organization of the MJDL and office loft during rehearsal periods, according to the instructions of the Artistic Director and Executive Assistant.
● Cleaning the MJDL according to a schedule and protocols established by the Artistic Director and Executive Assistant.
● Executing any errands or activities, within reason, deemed necessary by the Artistic Director and Executive Assistant.
Success in this position will depend upon the following skills, traits and requirements:
● A strong commitment to the mission, goals and work of MJDC
● Minimum of 3 years experience organizing activities associated with production
● Previous experience and familiarity with the San Francisco and/or national dance communities
● Able to coordinate a number of activities with multiple components requiring independent follow through, anticipation of areas of concern and attention to detail
● Able to take initiative and prioritize projects
● Excellent communications skills
● Comfortable in a multi-tasking environment with frequent interruptions and short deadlines, and at times a high degree of pressure
● Must be able to work flexible hours when needed
● Excellent organizational skills
● Familiarity with Mac Operating platforms
● Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and FileMaker Pro.
● Self-starter with the ability to start and manage tasks independently
● Ability to take direction
● Ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally
● Have a valid California drivers’ license and don’t mind driving for work-related activities.
• Proficient digital media skills, especially in operating digital video equipment and Mac editing and delivery programs i.e. iMovie, MPEG Streamclip, Quicktime, YouSendit.com
• Strong interpersonal skills: ease in interacting with diverse groups of people
• Accuracy, discretion, and attention to detail
• Positive work attitude, flexibility and a willingness to learn
• Have a valid driver’s license and wouldn’t mind driving for work-related activities.
• Enthusiasm for the arts and for the field of modern dance