Job opening: Dance Facilitator
Position: Carnaval Dance Facilitator
Organization: Loco Bloco
Loco Bloco’s Carnaval Program is currently hiring a qualified and passionate dance educator to facilitate our Carnaval Dance elements! The key responsibility of this role is to actively train, mentor and guide 3-5 youth dance class assistants to choreograph (2) major pieces of new Carnaval repertoire and teach them how to co-facilitate weekly Teen & Adult Carnaval Dance Classes. The Dance Facilitator works to ensure that every class is aligned with youth development practices and prioritize youth leadership, visibility and voice. The Dance Facilitator ensures that dance class assistants, youth apprentices* & participants alike are building confidence while discovering creative self-expression and building meaningful community.
- Dance Class Assistants are high school or college aged students &/or emerging artists who have
auditioned to choreograph and teach the choreography for Carnaval 2016.
- Youth Apprentices are high school youth part of a two-year leadership training program that
work to support class assistants and instructors/facilitators during Carnaval classes.
Term: October 2015-June 2016
Job Type: Independent Contractor / Project-based
Reports to: Program Director
Compensation: $3,000 stipend (Payable in two dates)
• Dec & Jan: Choreography Workshop Series (6-8 sessions) for Dance Class Assistants:
Lead & teach class assistants how to co-create two dance choreographies for Loco Bloco’s Carnaval music (set & developed by Musical Director).
• Feb: Dance Facilitation Workshop Series (4-8 sessions) for Dance Class Assistants:
Teach class assistant how to teach their choreographies effectively to the contingent participants in a fun, professional manner that builds community and participant confidence.
• Friday Mornings 10am-12pm on 1/8, 2/12, 3/11, 4/8, & 5/13 (Program Meetings)
• Friday Evenings 5-6:30pm on 1/22, 1/29, 2/26, 2/19, 4/8 & 5/20 (Carnaval Planning)
• Saturday February 6th 10am-4pm (Carnaval Program Orientation)
• Saturday June 4, 2016 10am-4pm (End of Year Debrief)
• Weekly check-ins with Program Director & Musical Director
• Saturdays February 27, 2016 – May 28, 2016, 9am-2pm (Carnaval Rehearsals)
• Sunday May 29, 2016 8am-4pm (Carnaval Parade)
• Instruct Dance Class Assistants during 8-12 sessions of Choreography Workshops (See descriptions above)
• Instruct Dance Class Assistants during 6-8 sessions of Facilitation Workshops. (See descriptions above)
• Be present to manage, supervise, & support Dance Class Assistants to teach Carnaval Teen & Adult Dance Classes during Carnaval Rehearsals.
• Mentor and prepare 1-2 Youth Apprentices to support you, the Class Assistants, and dance students during Carnaval Rehearsals & Parade.
• Design and plan the curriculum for Choreography and Facilitation Workshop Series, while incorporating feedback and ultimate approval by Program Director.
• Create & communicate clear objectives & goals for Dance Class Assistants and Youth Apprentices.
• Work to align all Carnaval Dance components to LB’s Mission Statement & 7-Core Values.
• Keep social justice, equity and Youth at the center of all work.
• Practice collaborative communication and teamwork with Musical Director, Program director and all Carnaval instructors to create consistent artistic and logistical threads between all “alas” (wings) of the contingent.
• Submit program plan for Teen & Adult Carnaval Dance Classes by February 6, 2016. Work in collaboration with Dance Class Assistants, Youth Apprentices, and Musical Director to set the program plan & weekly facilitation plan.
• Maintain a contagiously positive and welcoming attitude, enthusiasm, and a high standard of respect for all Carnaval participants.
• Attend all required Program Development Meetings, Carnaval Planning Meetings, Orientation & Debrief. Arrive on time and stay the entire time.
• 2 years minimum experience in performance arts education and youth development.
• 2 years minimum experience studying, performing and creating traditional and/or urban fusion Afro-Latino dance (For ex. Afro-Brazilian, Salsa, Merengue, Hip Hop)
• TB Test and Livescan Fingerprint Clearance
• Proven ability to work with people from a variety of different ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, sexual orientation and generational backgrounds.
• Exceptionally creative organizational skills and an ability to create consistent safe structures for youth.
• Positive, professional and energetic facilitation style that is supportive and motivating to all participants.
• Excited to work in a team with adults and adolescents alike and possesses exceptional collaborative skills.
• Prior experience choreographing for a contingent in Carnaval SF.
• Prior experience teaching others how to choreograph.
• Fluent in Spanish.
To apply, send resume & cover letter to: email@example.com by SEPTEMBER 30, 2015. Before applying, please review more information about Loco Bloco at www.locobloco.org. Attn: Giuliana Blasi, Program Director. Phone inquiries welcome: 415-864-5626 x9